Kindergarten Conference Part 1

If you have read any of posts lately, you heard me say that I was able to attend our state Kindergarten Conference.  I was super pumped about it.  Our district has the schools on a rotation schedule and every few years you get to attend the conference.  This was my school's year and the first year I was able to attend!  I think I was most excited about the presenters who would be there:  Deanna Jump, Kim Adsit, Kim Jordano, Heidi Butkus, and Shari Sloane {just to name a few}.  As I was looking over the information about the conference, I saw that they were also having a "Blogger's Bash" one evening during the conference.  I immediately called our assistant superintendent and asked if I could also go to that.  {I had decided that even if the district didn't pay, I would pay myself because I really wanted to see and hear these women talk about their blogs.}  To my huge surprise, she said yes I could go!!  {Insert happy dance here!}

The conference was this past Thursday and Friday.  We drove the 2 1/2 hours Wednesday after school and arrived at the hotel.  We went to dinner and then got all of our stuff for the next day.  Now, this conference had the first session at 7:30 A.M.  Yes, you heard me right 7:30 A.M.  Crazy?!?!?  I am a morning person so this did not bother me one little bit, but I know it is definitely not ideal for a conference.  To make it even easier to get up, my first session was with the one and only Deanna Jump.    My second session of the day was with the fabulous Kim Adsit.  Both of these ladies are hilarious!  I learned so much from them and laughed so much.  I saw two sessions from each of these ladies both on Thursday and Friday.  I also went to two of Shari Sloane's sessions and one from Heidi Butkus.  I went to a couple other sessions, but they weren't anything to write home about.  ;)

What I really wanted to share with you today was all about the Blogger's Bash.  I truly felt bad for the presenters because they presented all day {remember the first session started at 7:30} and the Blogger's Bash didn't start until 6:00 at night and lasted until about 8:30.  These poor women were exhausted I'm sure, but they still gave great presentations about blogging.  They were even nice enough to let me get a picture with them at the end.



First up was Heidi Butkus from Heidisongs.  You can check out her blog {here}.  She basically discussed the importance of having a purpose behind each post and shared some things from her blog.  She is definitely an experienced blogger.  I love all her songs and I truly believe the students learn more through music.  She also talked a bit about how pinterest really promotes interest to her blog.

Next up was Kim Jordano from Kinder By Kim.  She has been around the teacher conferences and things for awhile, but is newer to blogging.  You can check out her blog {here}.  She shared about being new to blogging and some ideas and posts from her blog.  She was super sweet and I loved what she had to say especially since I am newer blogger as well.

Kim Adsit from Kinder Gals also presented.  You can check out her blog {here}.  I think I could listen to both Kim and Deanna talk forever.  I just love southern accents!  This woman definitely knows what she is talking about.  She admits that she is not that "techy", but knows who to go to for help.  She also shared about her blog.  Her blog is authored by both herself and her daughter.

Last up was Deanna Jump from Mrs. Jump's Class.  Her blog is {here}.  They showed a clip of her on the Steve Harvey show where she was discussing how much she has made on TpT.  I can't imagine how hard it is to see yourself on T.V., but I think she did a fabulous job in her interview with him.  She just shared about how she keeps making resolutions to blog more, but it gets hard to do that.  {I hear ya on that one girl!}  She also touched base on how she has formed many friendships through blogging.  She also shared some ideas and posts from her blog.



There was another presenter:  David Finch.  He is not a teacher blogger, but had some great ideas and insight.  He brought up a discussion about getting negative or mean comments.  The teacher bloggers said that for the most part they don't receive comments like that, but that it does happen occasionally.  They did all say that it is nice to receive comments on their posts.  I know I feel that same and I am sure you do as well if you are a blogger yourself.  Then we had a question and answer time where we could ask questions to the bloggers.  A few people asked about starting up a blog and things like that.

It was mainly just the bloggers sharing their blogs and a time for us to ask questions.  I really enjoyed this extra session and I am soooooo thankful that these women took the time with those of us who were very interested in their stories, ideas, and blogs!  All four of them were super sweet!  I was a little worried they would think I was crazy for asking to get a picture with them, but they weren't.  :)



This was by far the best conference I have ever been to!!  I hope I can go back next year somehow to see all these amazing presenters again.

{I plan on doing a part two of this post either tomorrow or early next week. So, check back for that!}


This is my awesome shirt I bought myself at the conference.  I love it because I always say that kindergarten teachers are like rock stars.  The kids are always so excited and happy to see you that they scream out your name!  :)

My lovely friend Jessica over at Fun in Pre-K - 1 is having a 100 follower giveaway so click on the image to head over to her blog so you can have your chance to enter to win some fabulous prizes!


Have a great rest of your weekend!  :)

13 comments

  1. OMG!! I am so jealous!! Sounds like an AMAZING conference! I hope our school gets to go to it one year!!

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing. If you ever have the chance to go, take it girl!!

      Delete
  2. I AM SO JEALOUS! I LOVE going to conferences and getting inspired. Well, certain conferences. The CCIRA conference is always great. I went to an NCTM conference once and was less than inspired (but that may be because I am just not a math person!) Thanks for the shout out and I'm so glad you had a great time!

    ~Jessica
    Fun in PreK-1 is Having a Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely got some inspiration and I feel like it got me out of the rut I have been in as far as teaching goes. Now I have some new fresh ideas for my classroom to help get me through the end of the year! :)

      Delete
  3. O-M-G I am super jealous!!! Sounds like you had a blast and learned a ton of great info. I am so glad that you are able to spread the love and share a bit of what you learned there, especially for those like me who missed such a great conference. I am diggin' your new kinder shirt. Adorable! I am so excited to see how you put what you learned about blogging into your lil ole' fabulous blog. Maybe you can teach me a trick or two. Lol... Glad ya had such a positive teacher conference experience. :)

    Brittany
    Lovely Literacy & More

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brittany! It was definitely a blast and I definitely gained so much from going to this conference. I can't wait to share what I learned either, but right now I am working on lesson plans for the week. {Well that's what I am supposed to be doing. ;)} I will post about it soon though....my hope is by Tuesday! :)

      Delete
  4. First it was great meeting you at the bloggers bash, second wasn't it a BLAST....Love those gals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had an awesome weekend! Love that shirt you got :)
    Elizabeth
    Kickin' it in Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I was there!
    Can't wait to hear the rest!

    Irene

    Learning With Mrs. Leeby

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOOOO MMMMM GGGGGG! Unreal. It sounds like it was an absolute blast! I am ridiculously jealous :) Thanks so much for sharing about your adventure! All of those bloggers are fantastic. What an exciting thing to be a part of. Love your shirt - it is adorable! I need to snag me one of those!! Can't wait to hear about part 2!

    Love and hugs,
    Khrys
    keepinitkoolinkinderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was at that conference, too! I had so much fun. I have already been inserting a little Deanna into my teaching routines this week! We were probably in some of the same sessions.

    Lora
    teaching the littles

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad I found your blog. I can just tell I am going to find some fantastic kindergarten ideas here! Looks like you had such a great time at the conference! You met some amazing people! I just love your t-shirt! It's so cute!

    ThePolishedTeacher

    ReplyDelete